NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar

Monday, July 6, 2009

Meal Planning - A Worthwhile Endeavor

Let me start by saying that I would much rather be updating my blog with all kinds of fun stories and cute photos ... but I am not allowing myself to do that until I get a meal plan and grocery list ready for tomorrow morning ... this is discipline, people!


Secondly, my excuse for the total lapse in meal planning ... I have been seriously nauseous for the past three months, and the pukiness was at its peak between 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm. Making dinner for myself or anyone else was not a priority (or even a possibility on some nights). Poor Chad and Natalie have been fending for themselves with grilled cheese, eggs, quesadillas, ...


No doubt about it; I desperately need to make a trip to Trader Joe's and Safeway. With Chad home today, I had the perfect opportunity to grocery shop ... all by myself, and we all know how much I love to shop alone. I skipped my nap today (imagine that!) with every intention of running these errands today. After parking and walking up to the doors of Safeway, the realization that I was about to shop without a list - AGAIN - stopped me in the tracks and turned me around. What I don't need is a bunch of random junk in the fridge/pantry. Instead, I spent my afternoon at the Party Supply Store (prepping for a quaint little birthday gathering next week), Ross (grabbing some new "chubby" girl shirts), and Target (a place that is guaranteed fun for me). I was able to grab a gallon of milk at Target, which totally saved me on the whole skip-the-grocery-store decision!


But now I've kept my end of the deal ... here's my meal plan ...


Monday - Frozen Pizza

I had a truly delightful "Mom's Night Out" at a brand new restaurant in town ... the flatbread and super fresh salad - with lots of cucumbers and fresh mozzarella - was beyond good. Before I left, I prepared (with much love) a pepperoni pizza ... and served it with root beer and applesauce. There are a few food groups in there somewhere ... right?


Tuesday - Tuna Casserole

I am an organizer of my local moms' group, and tonight is our monthly dinner meeting. Yes, that two "nights out" ... woo hoo for me! But I plan to have this prepped and in the oven before I leave - lofty goals :)



This is totally a pregnancy craving ... the thought of cucumber sauce is making me very excited right now! Looking at the ingredient list, we should probably just go to the local Greek restaurant, but I am going to do my best to try this "new" recipe ... it's my one this week :)


Thursday - Concert at the Park Picnic

The weekly concerts at our local park start tonight, and I can't wait to enjoy a fresh, yummy meal ... picnic-style. Here's what I'm thinking ... pasta salad, salami, cheese and crackers, and fruit salad. I had this incredibly yummy bowtie pasta salad at my friend Ashley's house on the 4th. I can't stop thinking about it. I sure hope she can get me the recipe :)


Friday - Pecan-crusted Salmon

This is Chad's specialty, a recipe from a cookbook called Easy Weeknight Favorites. I think I'll serve it with steamed broccoli and brown rice ... yum! If I get super-ambitious (read: find the time), I'll come back and type in the recipe ... I can't find one like it online.


P.S. Hey Laurie, mom-of-two, super organized, meal-planning goddess, why don't you email me your meal plans each week and save me some of this work? :)

5 comments:

Chi-town momma said...

This week:
Sun: Mini Meatloafs (Kraft Foods) with corn on the cob
Mon: Dinner party for Brandon's boss - hellacious drive but hte food was YUMMO!!!
Tues: Enchillada casserole
Wed: leftovers
Thurs: Church picnic
Friday: Kelbasa and rice
Sat: Eat out!!!

Next week:
Sun: probably leftovers or something trown together from cabinets
Mon: Brocolli rollups and salad
Tues: Sloppy Joes and potato wedges
Wed: Leftovers
Thurs: Mexican chicken bake
Fri: Eat out!!!
Wed:

Laura said...

Welcome to MPM!! Thanks for joining us and getting it done :)

Emmett Joseph said...

Dana Lou, not to brag, but I am becoming quite the cook since I stopped working. So, I will be sure to send you easy, good meals that I find. Here's a quickie for lunch that Emmett likes (and very easy!):
Chicken shish-kebobs (sp?)...
Just skewer frozen chicken pieces or nuggets (thawed in micro for a minute) with squash or zucchini (or another veggie Natalie likes) and a can of biscuits halved. Bake in oven according to bisquit instructions and top with a little melted butter and honey (or let her dip them. Yum and fun to eat.

Chi-town momma said...

MMM, never thought of biscuits on shish kabobs! Like myself some carbs!

Emmett Joseph said...

Me too, Chi-town Momma! I think we could hang out together (and eat our weight in carbs) :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin