NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Questions

EMMETT UPDATE just below this post ... it's very GOOD NEWS :)

As I am sure is the case with most moms of almost-three-year-olds, I answer about a million questions a day.  Sometimes I grow weary of the constant barage of inquiries, but mostly I marvel at her thought process.  I really just love that she is creating an understanding of the world each and every minute of each and every day!

While shopping at a local toy store - for birthday presents for a friend and a cousin - Natalie started pointing out items, squealing her delight, and then asking, "Mommy, we take dis home wif us today?"  A request that I answered by reminding her that she has a birthday coming up (in less than two months) and perhaps she should ask for that toy as a birthday present.  I was pleasantly surprised by how well she took that suggestion.  We managed to leave the store with only our planned purchases and without a tantrum of any kind.  She waved and said, "Bye, toys, I'll see you on my birfday."

All that talk about her birthday lead to a little calendar "lesson" yesterday.  We put stickers on upcoming special dates like Father's Day, the 4th of July, and Natalie's 3rd Birthday.  I told her this month is May, next month is June, and then it will be July - her birthday month!  We even counted the weeks until her birthday ... not that she understands the concept of a week, but there were too many days to count ... 

That lesson must've churned around in her head all night because as soon as she woke up, she asked, "Mommy, is it dee munph of June today?"  It's going to be a very long seven weeks ... 

While I fed the baby, Natalie destroyed her room played with her Pretend Bin.  After putting on a hat, a purple skirt, a pink tutu, and a pair of purple slippers, she pranced in the room and said, "I'm a princess.  But I not CindERella. CindERella's dess is bue like your sirt, mommy.  My 'kirt is purple and pink."  Seems like good logic to me.

After a few more spins for good measure, Natalie asked, "Mommy, is dis a tutu or a kirt?"
A discussion ensued about using your imagination ... if you are pretending to be a ballerina, then it's a tutu.  If you'd rather be a princess, then it's a skirt.  To which she replied, "Today dis is a kirt."  So glad my explanation satisfied her!

She left the room with a very determined look on her face, and I followed ... curious to see what she was thinking about now.  Downstairs she pulled the Block Bin out of the cabinet and said, "Can we build a cassle with bwocks?  Cuz a princess neeeeds a cassle."

Well, of course!  Why didn't I think of that?!


During our recent visit to Mimi's house, 
Natalie got to experience an incredible Dress Up Bin ... 
and she looked way too grown up!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin