NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar

Monday, May 11, 2009

Something I've Never Done Before

I made apple cobbler today. Not a single ingredient came from a box. And the results are delicious. How about that? Before I give you the recipe and a funny story, allow me to explain WHY I made an apple cobbler today. You should know up-front that this story involves Costco.

This story begins ... many years ago, I had to revoke my husband's Costco membership. I didn't have a choice. The man came home with a case of canned green beans! We don't even eat canned vegetables. And we were living in a tiny little apartment at the time. Seriously, our pantry space consisted of like three super narrow shelves. I should also mention, this was the "last straw" of several other cases of bad judgement when it came to Costco purchases. And, so that was it. I took his card. He was no longer allowed to shop at Costco.

Last week, I went to Costco while hungry. I know, I know. My mistake; I completely admit that. I bought more fresh fruit than we will ever be able to eat ... including a pound of blueberries and 18 apples. Upon seeing my purchases, my darling hubby quickly reminded me of the "green bean incident." I was appalled that he would even think to compare the two! And I swore to make sure every last one of those apples ... and blueberries ... would be eaten. I did manage to eat a lot of "raw" apples, but eventually had to resort to baking. Not something that I enjoy. Not something that I am good at. But desperate times call for desperate measures ...

A quick Google search later, and I found a recipe with few ingredients and simple measurements from http://www.applerecipes.us/. Who knew there was an entire website dedicated to apple recipes?

Ingredients:
3 large granny smith apples, peeled and sliced

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions:
Put apples in the bottom of a lightly greased 8x8 inch baking dish.Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and egg until it looks like coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over the apples.Pour melted butter over the entire dish. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.


Here's that funny story, I mentioned.
The only cooking mishap to report ... I EXPLODED that 1/2 cup of butter in the microwave. Tossed the stick in the bowl. Popped it in the micro. Pushed the "Ez-On" button - my personal favorite - twice. Walked away to mix other ingredients. Heard this obnoxious POP and knew that couldn't be a good thing. Ugh! What a ridiculously slimy, greasy mess. But the microwave did get a much-needed cleaning :)

Now, I am off to find a recipe for a whole lot of blueberries ... muffins perhaps? Oh, I am feeling so Betty Crocker :)

3 comments:

mrs.alderman said...

Ummm...WE love apple cobbler over here!! You bring me a blob of cake but keep the good stuff for yourself?? What's up with that?? ;)

Janelle said...

Sounds yummy! But I don't have a plethora of apples around....and don't feel like baking today.

Chi-town momma said...

You can make blueberry cobbler too! :) So proud of you for baking! Sounds yummy - I'm still chowing down on the choc chip cookies Benjamin and I made on yet another rainy day this week! At least your baking has SOME nutritional value!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin