NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Rice Cereal TMI

While I know this may be Too Much Information for some of you, I figure most of you are moms and you can stomach a little talk of the number 2 ... or lack thereof.

Introduction to rice cereal went so well last week.  Charlotte was opening wide and enthusiastically eating!  In fact, my normally laid back baby let me know loud and clear how she feels about her rice cereal.  As I brought the bowl toward her high chair, she kicked her little feet and squealed with delight. When I realized it was still just a little too hot, I took a few steps away - with the bowl still in my hand - and Charlotte started to cry complete with a pouty lip and all.  I had never seen her do that before, and I couldn't help but smile at her ability to communicate :)

Well, it must've been foreshadowing because that rice cereal caused a lot more crying.  Not the cute kind of crying.  The kind that lets you know your baby is in pain ... and it just about breaks your heart.  Apparently all that rice cereal did a number on Charlotte's digestive system, which kept her from doing a number.  Wednesday night she had a tough time sleeping and woke up actually crying (very unusual) several times.  After an hour of consoling her, Chad brought her downstairs to hang out in her bouncer chair for a while.  She was somewhat productive - and finally went to sleep.  

Saturday afternoon we had a repeat performance of the fussies, and it was clear that she was in pain.  She would bear down and get red in the face and then just wail.  After forty minutes, a dose of Mylicon, and some leg bicycling, I was beside myself.  I called my mom.  I called my sister.  I called the doctor.  While I was on the phone, poor Charlotte passed out from the exhaustion of it all.  The doctor calmed me down, assured me that "this too shall pass," and suggested that we stop rice cereal for at least a week.  Charlotte had several more bouts of tummy aches until finally Sunday morning the diaper was filled, and my happy baby returned.

I am frustrated because I hate to see Charlotte in pain.  Clearly her digestive system is not quite ready for the next step. But also because I thought rice cereal - the start of solids - was going to help with her very slow weight gain.  When I weighed her last night - one week since her 6-month check-up - I was disappointed to find out that she weighs exactly the same.  She hasn't gained an ounce in a week.  Does that seem right?!  At one point she was up 4 ounces, but now she's back at 11 pounds 5 ounces.  I will talk to the doctor again tomorrow and come up with a plan to re-introduce solids.  I also need to tell her that I was mixing the rice cereal with formula (not breastmilk because I hate the thought of pumping) because maybe that has something to do with the constipation.
At least my baby girl is back on the poop-wagon ... for  now :)

8 comments:

BJ_Mama said...

hang in there, mama! I can remember all too clearly when we thought Sam should have gained a whole pound...and nuthin'. As long as she's eating (drinking) there's not much you can do. :) Glad the Poopster is back on track!

TheGrowingCunninghams said...

I know you're disapppointed, D. But rest assured my babies experienced the EXACT same symptoms. They were started on rice cereal in hopes of weighting down their milk, minimizing the effects of their reflux. While the rice helped in that regard, it - like Charlotte - did a number on their digestive systems; they were painfully gassy and extremely constipated. We quickly switched to an oatmeal cereal and that seemed to help a bit. Hugs to you!

Ali said...

It could be the formula. My son had a HUGE issue when he had formula with rice cereal (he needed a little beefing up at one point too) when I took away the formula, game on, he was back on track...

Oliver'sMom said...

Glycerin suppositories were (and still are...Sorry Oliver, your secret's out...) and still ARE our best friends...Poor little bubbie, I hate the "I need to poop!!!" cry! :-( Of course now, our lil man announces "MOM! I GOT IT OUT!! The poop doesn't hurt anymore! I got it ALL OUT!!!" He's gonna kill me when I tell that story at his rehersal dinner someday...

Feel better little C!

Big Mama Cass said...

Ugh what a pain in the pooper! Hope the dr has some good advice. Good luck!

Jessica {Team Rasler} said...

Boy, you've had more than your fair share of these issues! We, too, found the oatmeal to be easier on SP's little system when he started solids. Maybe that would work for Charlotte, too. Hope the solution is found quickly!

Pam Bowers said...

Aw...I hope she feels better. Sounds uncomfortable. She must be tiny at 11 lbs. I would secretly love to have a small baby. They are super precious!

Noelle said...

Amelia had/has the same issues with rice and she was about Charlotte's age when I started her on it. It's both constipation and gas and it is terrible! We switched her to oatmeal which is gentler on the digestive system and had no more problems. It could be the formula but it sounds exactly like the issues we had with rice.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin