NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar

Monday, June 7, 2010

Off the Charts

Is there ever a scenario when being "off the charts" is a good thing?  Perhaps when speaking of intelligence?  Dude, your intelligence is off the charts!  Yeah, that would be cool to hear.

And I know when something is "off the hook" that's a good thing, right?  I crack myself up when I try to be hip.  I am halfway through my thirties and the mom of two ... being hip is not really an option for me.

Oh, I digress ... I am dragging my feet because I am not sure how I feel about the news we got at the doctor's office today.  It's not terrible, by any means.  But I feel ... discouraged ... like I've done something wrong, or at least not right ... hopeful that everything is totally fine and this is a needless hoop to jump through ...

Not surprisingly, Charlotte's weight has fallen off the charts.  Instead of plotting steadily along the 3rd percentile trajectory.  Instead of gaining an adequate amount of weight.  My little peanut fell right off the chart.  Here's the bottom of the chart ... and here's her little dot ... below the acceptable margin.  She is also lagging just a bit when it comes to length.  But her head circumference is right on track ... and really, if there's a measurement you want right on track, I guess it's the one related to her brain, right?!

Dr. M has decided a second opinion is not a bad idea.  But she doesn't want just any second opinion.  She wants Charlotte seen by some big-wig pediatric endocrinologist.  Of course, it is nearly impossible to get an appointment with Dr Fancy Pants (that's my nickname for him and I haven't even met him yet); apparently he's highly sought after (what must that be like?) and he sees patients on a very limited schedule (like only three days a week).  I am hopeful that our second opinion will involve non-evasive testing and will either a) reassure us that everything is fine or b) will provide us with answers and lead to effective treatment.

In the meantime, Project Introduce Solid Food is in full effect!  Which means I am back to pumping (oh, how I hate to pump!) once a day to have enough breast milk to mix with rice cereal ... yummy!  We've also considered supplementing with formula, but the plan is to go for solids first and leave formula as our plan B.

Those of you with tiny babies, please give me some insight, peace-of-mind, questions I should be asking, ... 

I'll leave you with one last thought ... 

Fair to say Charlotte's cuteness is off the charts, too!

12 comments:

Oliver'sMom said...

Yes, that cuteness is TOTALLY off the charts, and her little tootsies sticking out from that bumbo have totally kicked my baby fever up a few degrees!

Hugs to you-you are one of the best moms out there. I can't think of anyone else I know who does so much to be the best they can and do all the right things for their kiddos. Seriously, you're like superwoman! Good luck when you get the Dr. appointment; positive thoughts and prayers for you and the peanut!

PS-my "word verification" is PREGA. Seriously?!?! We're not even trying yet! LOL

Sylvia Plathypus said...

LOL @ Dr. Fancy Pants! I get so aggravated with those pompous doctor-types. =) Way to put him down a peg mentally before he gets the chance to intimidate! =) And I absolutely agree....her cuteness is WAY off the charts!! She is just adorable in her little seat, and it's making me feel enormously glad right now that I'm surgically sterile...*whew!* LOL I love babies too much, and I'm overtly fertile when not aided by such things as tubal ligations. ;) I'm sure Charlotte's growth thing will turn out to be a blip on the radar of her childhood -- she looks perfectly fine to me! =) She obviously has a super mommy, and that is the best thing for her. You rock! =)

BJ_Mama said...

OOH! ME! ME! THIS IS SOOO MY AREA!

My dearest friend, we have been there...UP and DOWN! SO, first off, let me tell you that small babies ROCK! (and to top it off they really are OFF THE CHARTS in CUTENESS...EVERYBODY says so)
Sam actually had the small head circumference too...so that's a whole 'nother story with Dr. Neurologist and Dr. Genetics Dude...we'll leave that for another day.
Dr. Fancy Pants Endocrinologist has been our FAVE! because it IS the least invasive....(aside from the blood draws...which as long as levels look good, should be minimal) And as for "treatment", if hormone & and other growth type levels are "normal" there's not much they can do (or will do) until she's older.
Oh, how I despise GROWTH CHARTS and PERCENTILES!!! Remember, they are on graded Bell curves, so there are some kiddos that just don't fit in the 95% of all children.....I think Docs sometimes forget that!
HELLO!!! WELCOME TO THE 5%!!!! :) It'a a party over here!

Emmett Joseph said...

Sho 'nuff--she is as cute as can be!! I wouldn't be concerned until you know there is something to be concerned about--I know, I know, easier said than done. In my personal, non-medical, non-sought after opinion, I think she is just a little nugget...and that's okay by me!
Keep us posted, let us know when you get to meet Dr. Fancy Pants, and what he says :)

Chi-town momma said...

First off, hugs friend! And smooches to that A-DOR-ABLE little nugget of yours! Is she happy? YES! Is she gaining new knowledge? YES! Is she meeting other milestones? YES! She is doing everything else great so do your best not to get too discouraged!
Perhaps Debbie can offer some advice too? Wasn't her youngest sister a peanut? Maybe Daphne has some insight. Love to you all.

Adrienne said...

umm the cuteness is way off the charts ...what a lil peach she is =)
Now for the weight thing ...Ask many other questions ...Is she developing motor skils that are on track with her age and if so I would simply think about adding in some cereals and perhaps some very mild fruits...

Noelle said...

Just wondering where she falls on the World Health Organization growth chart. It is different than the one doctors frequently use in the US and is really a better measure for breastfed babies. It might be worth finding out? But, it probably won't change the how your doctor looks into her cute-as-a-button-tiny-ness. (= As for pumping for cereal, I had some trouble with that so I just put it in the bowl straight from the source. That visual is as hilarious as you imagine it to be. But, you gotta do what you gotta do to make it work, right? I'm sending positive vibes out to you and her cuteness.

Ali said...

She is a.d.o.r.a.b.l.e.!
Try not to worry mama, you are doing all the right things, besides if the growth % charts are made in the US on an average of American children and we have a childhood obesity problem......

Jessica said...

It's a good idea to get a 2nd opinion. Most likely there is nothing wrong and you will be relieved. But if there is, you can get started on treatment early.

My nephew slowly fell off the charts (he's almost 8) and it took my sister YEARS to get a referral and appointment with a ped endo. They are just now starting treatment. So consider yourself lucky to be getting this looked at right away.

Go Zesty with Dee! said...

Well, you know I love that sweet face! I think she's just perfect, but I'm biased. I know that it will be good to get things checked out now, just to give you peace of mind. I'd share Jordan's weight with her if I could ...

Elaina said...

My friend's baby was in the exact same situation and she was driving herself crazy worrying about it. I told her that when we started our kids on solids, their weight shot up. The same thing happened to her little one, who is now not so little. In fact, she's turning 2 today I just remembered! It looks like she's taking to the rice cereal, so my prediction is that she'll plump up nicely. What a cutie!

Loco YaYa said...

CHECK! on the cuteness being off the chart.

my oldest (who is now 12) was off the charts too. for a very long time. her height and weight were wayyyy below normal for a wayyyy long time. ('cept her head. baby girl had a good head!)

now, she is 12 (*weep) and she is 5'4" and 116 lbs. (genius I.Q. also)

chin up! it could just be an annoying in the way type thing. and she could grow up to be an amazon genius like my daughter! ok wait. that makes her sound kinda scary. try again...a taller than most the girls in junior high and smarter than most in high school kid!

see?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin