NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar

Monday, August 11, 2008

Crepes: One of the Many Reasons I love CPV

What an awesome morning! First of all, I got to sleep in! My sweet Chad Patrick got up with Natalie at 7:00 am, fed her breakfast, and played all his fun daddy games. They woke me up just after 8:00 with a good snuggle in bed, my favorite way to greet the day. I left the two of them playing while I walked to Starbucks with my neighbor, friend, and new mommy, Jessica. We had a wonderful conversation while I sipped my chai tea latte. I returned home to find Natalie down for her morning nap, and Chad heating up the pan to make a batch of his now highly requested CREPES! Seriously, does it get any better than this?


Crepes are a new treat around here. Just this summer CPV expanded his culinary repertoire to include this decadent breakfast option. Crepes were an occasional childhood treat for him, but my tastebuds were crepe virgins ... I've had plenty of pancakes, waffles, and french toast in my day, but never a crepe ... and after three samplings, I am totally hooked! Anyway, a co-worker recently reminded him of their deliciousness during one of many non-work related conversations and gave him a recipe to try.



Crepe Batter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup milk
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon salt


Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Use hand mixer to blend until liquid consistency. Let the batter stand, covered, for 1 hour. (The batter may be made up to 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.)


To Make Crepes:
  1. Start with a heated a 9 inch skillet. Chad sprays the pan - just one - with cooking spray.
  2. Once the pan is hot (but not smoking), remove it from the heat.
  3. Stir the batter, fill a 1/4 cup measuring scoop with batter.
  4. Pour the batter into the pan. Tilt and rotate that pan quickly to cover the bottom with a thin layer of batter and then return the pan to the heat.
  5. Loosen the edge of the crepe until the underside is browned lightly.
  6. Flip the crepe - you can even get fancy about it - and brown the other side.
  7. Transfer the crepe to a plate.
  8. Serve with strawberries and whip cream, berries and powdered sugar, just powdered sugar, or maple syrup - these are the toppings we've tried thus far :)




This was most certainly the kind of breakfast you "write home about" ... or at least post on my blog. I somehow managed to eat 3 crepes ... all filled with strawberries and a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
My husband is the best, and I love him for his crepes :)

2 comments:

Chi-town momma said...

I was one of the original guinea pigs for Chad's crepes...delicious!

supahmommy- somethin's wrong with that girl said...

YUM@

i'LL BE makin da CPV crepes this weekend .. maybe my girls will try something new..

nah.. doubt it.

MORE FOR ME.
d

Blog Widget by LinkWithin