NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mom Dating

I am fairly certain I was picked up at Starbucks today. Her nonfat vanilla latte came up just before my own nonfat, extra hot chai tea latte. She swayed with a sleeping, knit hat clad baby in her oh-so-northwest Ergo carrier. I rhythmically pushed my stroller to-and-fro in the hopes that my little NHV would finally fall asleep. Eyes met. Knowing glances were exchanged. And a 15-minute conversation ensued ... with a total stranger ... a woman who, prior to giving birth, wouldn't have even said hi to me as we grabbed our hot beverages from the barista's counter!

Our tiny companions give us enough in common to chat like old friends. Of course, we provided our babies' names before we introduced ourselves - that's what mommies do. I think we are so darn proud of having made such a monumental decision, that we just have to share that information first. Anyway, we covered incredible amounts of information about our babies - from age and weight to sleeping and eating habits ... and about ourselves - from our feelings about the dreary NW weather to our decisions about returning to work. Yes, it was a successful first date.

Our conversation ended with a somewhat awkward phone number request, but something tells me, she won't call. And that's alright with me. You see, the immediate and compelling need for adult interaction was satisfied ... at least for today. And there's always another mommy to meet ... and, if I am being honest, that fact is more than a little comforting. There are days when the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" just isn't enough.

3 comments:

Deb said...

So true. Moms who've never met can have an instant bond, but then feel so awkward all at the same time.

I'm so happy I found your blogs!

Chi-town momma said...

I feel this even more now that I am a SAHM in the summer at the park. It is so easy to strike up a conversation with a total stranger. It works too, because I have made some pretty nice friends from the women I have seen over and over again at the same parks!

Miss Mel said...

Agreed Chi-town, I have found I gravitate toward the same parks due to having people I have come to know and enjoy there.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin