NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar

Friday, February 10, 2012

singing her phone number and saving money

Hard to believe, but NHV is heading to Kindergarten in the Fall.  Like in less than seven months from now!  Don't ask me how that's possible.  So I've been somewhat interested in {slightly obsessed with} all things kindergarten.  Most recently, I've been trolling readiness checklists ... great idea, btw.  I love a list ... crossing off things she knows and highlighting skills we can work on.  Makes me feel productive and efficient, and it allows me to focus my energy on something other than crying about the fact that my baby will be going to "real" school.

One of the items on aforementioned checklists is knowing your phone number.  We don't have a home phone, and I never really thought about teaching Natalie our cell phone numbers.  But I can certainly see the benefit of her knowing that information should the need arise {major and unexpected foreshadowing here}.

I taught my four year old to sing my cell phone number to the tune of Frère Jacques.  Using the regular breaks in a phone number, sing each part twice ... like this:

425
425

123
123

4567
4567

That's my phone number.
That's my phone number.

Fast forward to about a week later.  Grammy is here for a visit, and when she's here she insists on cooking {more food than we will ever be able to consume} and buying groceries.  Natalie went with Grammy to our neighborhood market, and it was a good thing she did.  Our market has an "advantage" card, which gets you discounts on "items throughout the store."  And the card is tied to my phone number.  You see where this is going, right?  They got to the check out, and my mom realized she didn't have my card or her cell to look up my phone number.  

Natalie sang the number, which consequently saved my mom almost $13!  Way to go, NHV!

2 comments:

Oliver'sMom said...

Genius! I have been battling with O trying to get him to even TRY to learn our number...I'll give this a shot on our drive to Leavenworth tomorrow! Have you gone to your home school's Kinder meeting yet? (Challenger?) I went to Creekside's this week, and let me tell you...I'M NOT READY FOR THIS!!!!

Jessica {Team Rasler} said...

Awesome! I love this idea, too, and glad it came in handy for saving some money.

I was wondering the same thing - have you registered her at Endeavour yet? When is the first meeting? I can't believe this is already happening! Seems impossible that she'll be turning five this summer.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin