NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar NavBar

Friday, October 14, 2011

i'm busted ...

Here's hoping that writing is therapeutic ... because I feel like crap.  Please know that I should feel like crap.  This isn't unexpected.  I am currently recovering from lower jaw surgery, and well, as you can imagine, it sucks.  Because of my severe underbite, both sides of my lower jaw were broken and moved forward about 6 mm.  My underbite caused me pain and headaches for years.  I am so thankful my current orthodontist told me the only way to truly fix this issue (which should've been fixed when I was a teenager) was to do it right.   Of course, doing it right led to the jaw surgery and two other procedures. My already weak chin would've complete disappeared after the jaw surgery, so it was moved forward.  And my tight frenulum (flap of tissue beneath my tongue) was clipped.  I am busted.

I remember almost none of the surgery or night spent in the hospital.

Because of the swelling, my face has been wrapped in ice almost constantly since Monday.  I also have to sleep upright, which means I can't sleep for longer than about an hour and a half at a time.  And most of that sleep is drug induced and filled with crazy nightmares and sleep falling.

I can't eat anything but I am increasing my repertoire of liquid delights ... Carnation Instant Breakfast, chicken broth, mashed potato soup, smoothies, and baby food!

I am still taking pain killers, anti-inflammatory, and nausea medication around the clock.  The inside of my mouth feels like "ground beef" to borrow phrasing from a friend - referring to her girl parts - after she gave birth to an almost 10 pound baby.  The cheeks, chin, and neck are swollen and very bruised.  I cannot open my mouth more than about the width of my index finger, which makes talking nearly impossible - yawning, coughing, or sneezing are excruciating!   I am busted.

Having my mom here for the past week has been such a blessing.  There is no way I can care for the girls right now ... not being able to talk, the risk of their love hitting me in the face, and having just enough energy to make myself a smoothie before I have to rest.  I am busted.

The full recovery time is about six months - but swelling should reduce significantly in the first two weeks and I hope to be eating soft pasta in the same amount of time.  I also have plans to fly with both girls (by myself) in less than a month.  I am trying to stay positive and hope that I will feel better every day. 

Thank you to all my mama friends who are taking such good care of me and my family!

7 comments:

chitownmomma said...

Love you so much friend. Praying for healing.

Jp said...

None of that sounds fun but you are such a trooper. I hope the healing hits the fast track soon!

Janelle said...

Hope writing about it was a little therapeutic for you. Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Take good care of yourself.

Emmett Joseph said...

What, no picture? :) You poor thing! Please take all friends up on their offers of help. Get plenty of rest. Drink your calories so you stay strong. Stay on top of your meds. And just remember, it's finally over. I will see you and that beautiful new smile of yours in less than a month, my friend. I love you!

Jessica {Team Rasler} said...

I would love to be helping. Let me know if you need another Starbucks outing or a smoothie delivered.

Lee-Ann said...

Oh that sounds so painful. Healing thoughts & hugs.

Erica Zamsky Hunt said...

Awwww hang in there, my hubby just had major throat and mouth surgery so we know all about soft foods in this house-if you like it try corned beef hash it is wicked soft and at least has some protient (all though processed) in it. Hang in there and sending you virutal get wells!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin